A survey of caregivers of Alzheimer's patients completed in the summer of 1986 identified a need in the Augusta area for an In-Home Care Program. Funding and training for In-Home Respite Staff was completed and in November of 1986 that program got under way.
Another survey identified the need for a Day Center for the care of those with Alzheimer's disease. In April of 1989 a Center was opened one day a week at Covenant Presbyterian Church in west Augusta. Eventually, the program was increased to three days a week.
The Augusta Alzheimer's Chapter office made the decision to purchase property at 1901 Central Avenue with the intention of converting it into a five-day-a-week Day Center. Construction of the facility was completed and the Jud C. Hickey Center for Alzheimer’s Care opened its doors in the fall of 1996. The construction was made possible by funds raised through a community campaign conducted by the University Health Care Foundation.
Jud C. Hickey, D.D.S., was the founding dean of the School of Dentistry at the Medical College of Georgia and was the interim president of the Medical College of Georgia from 1987-1988. He was a client when the Center opened in 1996 and it was named in honor of this gentleman whose legacy will be remembered for years to come. Dr. Hickey died on October 24, 2005 at the age of 78 following a long battle with Alzheimer’s disease.
This was the first Alzheimer's-Dementia Specific Day Center in the Central Savannah River Area (CSRA). The Jud C. Hickey Center for Alzheimer's Care is a non-profit organization and is dedicated to providing support and assistance to Alzheimer's patients and their families in the CSRA.